It’s municipal Election Day here, and the streets are jumping with people out and about (for the first time ever it’s a day off for everyone). Went for a 6k run that turned into a 6.5k and then went to vote.
Here’s what’s going on in a nutshell:
- Back to writing while I figure out what to do with my first novel (beta readers, synopsis, etc).
- I’ve deleted Tweetbot from my phone again. I’ve really cut down on my social media lately, and it’s time to once again take a step back from Twitter for a while. It just makes me so angry and frustrated lately, to no good end.
- Listening to Serial season 3 (talk about angry and frustrated), MBMBaM, Do By Friday, Roderick on the Line, Felicitations and the Pen Addict. I’ve really cut down on my technology podcasts for the past few weeks, because there’s only so many times you can hear a bunch of dudes talk about their iPhones or watches.
- I’ve managed to return to journaling, and my running is back on track. I’m still spending a lot of time in the hospital, on the phone with the hospital or researching health things on the internet for my mom, but I’ve managed to eek some sort of balance into the craziness of it all. Keeping my head above the water at this point, which isn’t bad.
- Drawing and reading like crazy, instead of watching TV or playing video games, which is a net positive for me.
Had Pho for the first time today, and it was strange but good, especially as a post run meal. It’s surprisingly difficult to find Pho in Tel Aviv, but maybe more places will offer it when the weather cools down.
Saw a little brown bird lying still on the road on my way to work. It was alive but appeared stunned. I gently picked it up and moved it to a large planter, away from the road and the cars. Came back later with some water for it but it had flown away.
Drawn on a Field Notes Signature sketch book, with a Zebra fine disposable brush pen.
My mom has some very serious health problems, and that (coupled with some travel) has made me put my running on a two week haitus. Except for an “angry run” of 4k that turned into 6k, I haven’t been lacing up lately, and that’s not good.
Yesterday I put in a 4k, and as usual after a break, it was pretty rough. Not as rough as I knew this morning’s run would be. It was scheduled to be a 10k, but I dropped it to a 7k, knowing that all things considered even that would be a challenge. I would have to fight my lizard brain all the way through this one, so I would have to use all the tricks I had to get through it:
Trick #1: Remove all obstacles to getting out the door. For me that meant setting an alarm, setting out my workout clothes, and charging my headphones the night before.
Trick #2: Promise yourself something nice once you complete the run. For me it was breakfast at my favourite cafe.
Trick #3: Distraction, distraction, distraction. This is the most important thing, and why I chose a new route, and I saved my favourite podcast (Do By Friday) for this run.
Trick #4: Give yourself a break. I allowed myself to stop for breaks, so long as they were only for a few seconds, and I went right back to running again. I needed to decide this in advance so I wouldn’t feel bad about taking the breaks that I knew that I would need. The point was not to beat myself up for something that couldn’t be helped.
It worked, and I got rewarded with some pretty nifty new views:
Get out there and run. You can crush it, no matter what the little lizard says.